Education is a powerful way to avoid getting caught up in using harmful substances, including prescription drugs. Following is information to help project you and your friends from possible prescription drug related substance use disorder and overdose death.
Protect Yourself and Your Friends!!
- Don’t assume that prescription drugs aren’t as dangerous as illegal drugs – they are!
- Taking a friend’s ADHD medication like Adderall or Ritalin can cause serious health issues, including a heart attack.
- Avoid drug reactions and overdose – take medications exactly as instructed.
- Seek help from a trusted adult if you’re concerned about a friend’s abuse of prescription or other drugs.
- Avoid social situations where drugs may be included and you could be pressured to abuse them.
- Mixing prescription drugs, even with over-the-counter drugs, can be deadly, especially when combined with alcohol.
- Know the signs of overdose and call 911 immediately if there is any sign of trouble. Real friends take action!
Concerned about yourself or a friend’s substance abuse?
Anonymous 24/7 Hotline: 1-800-274-TALK
More Information About Drug Use and the Teen Brain: http://teens.drugabuse.gov